Benjamin Mendy has been cleared of six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

The Manchester City footballer will face a retrial on two outstanding charges, however.

Jurors could not reach verdicts on one count of rape and one of attempted rape following a six-month trial at Chester Crown Court.

Advertisement

Mendy’s co-accused, Louis Saha Matturie, 41, was found not guilty of three counts of rape.

Jurors failed to reach verdicts on three further counts of rape against Matturie, as well as three counts of sexual assault.

Judge Steven Everett discharged jurors after they failed to reach majority verdicts in the remaining cases, ending the trial.

Mendy and Matturie will now face separate retrials. 

Mendy’s retrial will take place on June 26, and is expected to last two to three weeks. It has been set for the same court.

The 28-year-old is also due to attend court for a pre-trial review on January 27.

Matturie’s trial is due to start on the week commencing September 18.

The 41-year-old has been told to attend a pre-trial review set for March 24.

Matthew Conway, prosecuting, said the prosecution wanted to seek a retrial on the counts the jury could not reach verdicts on.

He said: “The prosecution has made a decision. We have made a decision today, which is to proceed on these counts in two separate trials and we seek today a provisional case management.”

Mendy and Matturie denied all of the charges against them.

Both men have been on trial at Chester Crown Court since August 10 2022.

The jury, of seven men and four women, first went out to consider verdicts on December 5 and Friday was the 14th day they had been out.

Mendy covered his face with his hands as the jury foreman said “not guilty” to the seven counts, which related to four young women.

The jury was discharged on Friday after deliberating for 67 hours 17 minutes over 14 days.

In September, Mendy was found not guilty of one count of rape on the direction of the judge at his trial.

Matturie was also found not guilty of two counts of rape against the same woman at the same time.

Mendy, who cost Manchester City £52 million when he was signed from Monaco in 2017, was suspended by the Premier League club when he was arrested in August 2021.

Advertisement

Manchester City said in a statement on Friday: “Manchester City FC notes the verdict from Chester Crown Court today, where a jury has found Benjamin Mendy not guilty of seven charges. 

“The jury is hung on two charges and the trial is now over. Given there are open matters related to this case, the Club is not in a position to comment further at this time.”

(Photo: Cameron Smith/Getty Images)

Tagging: benjamin mendy man city.

via: The Athletic.

Kaalan Walker, actor from 'SuperFly' and 'Kings,' convicted on several counts of rape. Kaalan Walker, an actor who appeared in the 2018 film "SuperFly," has been convicted on eight out of eleven counts of sexual assault.Apr 19, 2022

He was eventually indicted in Los Angeles in July 2021 for four counts of forcible rape and forcible oral copulation, two counts of sexual battery by restraint and one count of sexual penetration by use of force.6 days ago

1. Manchester City's Mendy found not guilty of six counts of rape

  • Author: pmnewsnigeria.com
  • Updated: 2023-01-19
  • Rated: 78/100 ⭐ (2431 votes)
  • High rate: 78/100 ⭐
  • Low rate: 54/100 ⭐
  • Summary: Manchester City's Mendy found not guilty of six counts of rape
  • Matched Content: Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has been cleared of six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.
  • Read more: here
  • Edited by: Elladine Bagley

2. Footballer Benjamin Mendy cleared of six counts of rape - RFI

  • Author: www.rfi.fr
  • Updated: 2023-01-19
  • Rated: 77/100 ⭐ (5762 votes)
  • High rate: 77/100 ⭐
  • Low rate: 55/100 ⭐
  • Summary: Footballer Benjamin Mendy cleared of six counts of rape
  • Matched Content: A jury in the UK on Friday cleared Manchester City and France footballer Benjamin Mendy of six counts of rape and one of sexual assault 
  • Read more: here
  • Edited by: Meta Cece

3. Footballer Benjamin Mendy cleared on six counts of rape - IOL

  • Author: iol.co.za
  • Updated: 2023-01-19
  • Rated: 69/100 ⭐ (7849 votes)
  • High rate: 97/100 ⭐
  • Low rate: 65/100 ⭐
  • Summary: Footballer Benjamin Mendy cleared on six counts of rape
  • Matched Content: A UK jury on Friday cleared Manchester City and France footballer Benjamin Mendy on six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.
  • Read more: here
  • Edited by: Corey Ellersick

4. Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy found not guilty of six counts of

  • Author: goal.com
  • Updated: 2023-01-19
  • Rated: 98/100 ⭐ (5394 votes)
  • High rate: 98/100 ⭐
  • Low rate: 45/100 ⭐
  • Summary: Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy found not guilty of six counts of
  • Matched Content: Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has been cleared of six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.
  • Read more: here
  • Edited by: Janie Blaseio

5. Man City's Benjamin Mendy cleared of six rape charges - TheCable

  • Author: thecable.ng
  • Updated: 2023-01-19
  • Rated: 79/100 ⭐ (4998 votes)
  • High rate: 79/100 ⭐
  • Low rate: 44/100 ⭐
  • Summary: Man City's Benjamin Mendy cleared of six rape charges
  • Matched Content: Benjamin Mendy, Manchester City defender, has been cleared of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
  • Read more: here
  • Edited by: Leoline Giltzow